Obtaining a GWID, GW NetID, and GWorld Card

In order to get started as a new employee at GWU, you will need to follow these steps:

1.     Obtain a GWID. A GWID is your identification number as a GW employee. It will be a number you use for daily functions at the University such as completing your timesheets, or logging into your employee profile to view benefits, etc. It is also used by the University in place of your Social Security Number. As a new employee you must obtain your GWID by:

a.     Logging into the GWeb Information Systems Page:

1) Visit the myGW website and click on the 'gweb info system' link on the left side of the screen or click here

2) Log into the GWeb Information System by entering your Social Security Number in the 'User ID' field and your default PIN in the 'PIN' field. As a first time user, your PIN will be your birth date in either MMDDYY or MMYY99 format.

3) Once you login, you will be required to choose a new PIN, set a security question, and answer and agree to the Terms of Use. 

4) By clicking the 'Faculty' tab on GWeb, you can view your class rosters and submit grades. 

b.     Click here. 

1) Select the "Faculty tab" and click GWID. Click the “GWID Retrieval Request” button. Follow the prompts.


2.     Obtain a GW NetID. Once you have your GWID, you can obtain a GW NetID. This ID will also be necessary for daily use. You will use it to log into your my.gwu.edu portal and your GW email account. In order to do so,

a.     Click here.

1) Select the “Faculty tab" and click "NETID." Click the "Claim Your NetID" button.

2) At the new webpage, click the option "Claim Your GW Email Adress/NetID." Provide your GWID, Last Name and Birth Date and select the “I accept the policies” option box.

3) Then press on “Claim an Account.” Follow the instructions on the next page to complete this step.

3.     Obtain a GWorld Card by going to the GWolrd Card Office on the ground floor of the Marvin Center (800 21st Street). This is your physical ID card. Every staff person must have it. Some University doors lock at night and on the weekend and are accessible only by swiping your GWorld card.



 *Adapted from the GW Computer Science Program Website